Friday, December 31, 2021

Scar update

     I have been going to my nurse practitioner for 3 injections so far.  The first injection was strictly with a steroid.  The shot hurt immensely. I think I likened it to feeling as if I were being cut open without anesthesia all over again.  What has most significantly changed with the steroid is that the scar stops itching for around 3 weeks after the injection, which is helpful, however it doesn't seem to be shrinking the scar or helping with the pain.

    The second injection was with a combination of steroid and ozone.  Let me insert a short science lesson here for those of you who are no more science minded than I am.  Water is H20.  Meaning it has 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen molecule. Ozone is O3 comprised of 3 oxygen molecules.  It is a gas and is what makes up our ozone layer in space.  My nurse practitioner has a machine that separates oxygen molecules from the air and combines 3 oxygen molecules to make ozone.  When she injected me with the ozone on my right side, the scar on that side became scaly.  Because I only have about the middle third of my chest that has feeling right now, it is difficult to tell if the ozone did anything about the pain.  

This last visit she mixed a concoction of steroid and 3 other things and injected me with that.  I couldn't begin to tell you what they were, nor could I pronounce them if I could tell you.  The best way I have to describe the feeling of that injection was that it felt like she was injecting me with acid.  I only thought the previous steroid injections were painful.  So far, the outcome of that injection has been a slight reduction in the pain.  There may also be a slight reduction in the bulkiness of the scar, but that's hard to tell for certain at this point.  There is more itching than with the previous injections because the amount of steroids that she injected me with was reduced significantly.  

That's about it for this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment