Saturday, May 21, 2022

Scan results

 I had a whole body scan repeated from 3 years ago.  At that time, there were 3 lesions on my liver, but they were really too small to diagnose.  The radiologist, at that time, suspected they were cysts.  The scan came back with no abnormalities except for some kidney stones which have hung around for decades.  All this means that there is no evidence of cancer any where in my body!  It's kind of weird to think about, but for the first time in six years I can actually say that I'm cancer free.  

I think I've said this before, but I do not consider myself a "survivor".  Survivor is defined by the Cambridge dictionary as, "a person who continues to live, despite almost dying", or " a person who is able to continue living his or her life successfully despite experiencing difficulties."  Does a person with cancer have the possibility of death from their cancer, yes, but I never felt I was ever in imminent danger of dying from my cancer.  Do I have the possibility of living my life despite experiencing the difficulty of cancer?  Of course, but there again don't we all experience difficulties, and don't we all have the potential to live successfully in spite of those difficulties?  So, no I do not consider myself any more of a survivor than any other person out there--at least not at this point in my life. 

I see cancer as a blip on the radar of my life.  A very big blip, but simply a blip.  I'm ready to get past this blip and continue doing what I love doing with my life.  Cancer has changed me.  I am not the person I was six years ago, and I'm not the person I would have been without the cancer.  I am Eva. I have scars that will never go away and will always be a reminder to me of what I've gone through.  But I bet you have scars, either physically or mentally, that remind you of the difficulties you have experienced in your life as well.  

My plan for the future is to continue with labs for the next year or two to make sure things are ok as far as we can tell.  I will still pursue doing something with my keloid, but my posts here may be coming to an end soon.  I'm not sure, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment