Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Doctor Appointment

So, I just got back from my doctor visit with the new doctor.  For the most part, it went very well, although it didn't start off too well.  I checked in probably no more than 5 minutes late for my arrival time, which was supposed to be 15 minutes prior to my actual appointment time.  I was late because my gps took me to the front of the building--a preschool I deduced from all kids playing around inside the fence.  I managed to ring the bell on the door and the office lady came out to direct me to the other side of the building. It was one of those buildings where you can't enter and cut through the building, which is good for the preschool, but bad for the drivers who just follow the gps.  I got back in my car and drove around to the other end of the building.

When I got there they handed me a mask and took my temperature.  I was 98.3, so first test passed!  Go me!  Then I went up to the desk, which by the time I had waited in line to pass checkpoint A, put me at being 5 minutes prior to my appointment.  I turned in all my forms and sat down to wait to be called back.  Forty-five minutes later I was still sitting in the waiting area.  At this point, I decided to ask at the desk to see if they knew how much longer I would be.  After checking with the nurse I was told it should only be 5 more minutes or so.  I was given an explanation that they had had an extra large blood draw.  My thoughts at this point are that if it takes 45 minutes to get all the blood they need from a patient the person is probably dead or should be, but that's just where my mind goes, and I guess they needed to come up with some explanation for my extended wait.

Once I got in to the exam room, the wait time was just minutes before the doctor arrived.  The overall visit went very well.  He was very thorough and listened to me relate details of my health.  The visit wasn't just about the cancer, so he really did get my medical life story.  After the incident of getting my cancer diagnosis online, I have been very hesitant to set up patient portals.  I am pretty sure this doesn't mean my records aren't available online.  It probably just means I don't have access to them, but the doctor assured me that he personally approves everything that is put in the portal for every patient before the patient has access to the information.  After learning that, I decided to go ahead and set things up because otherwise I will have to wait to make changes to what I am doing until my next appointment which could be up to 12 weeks down the road which only delays treatments.  All in all he spent probably an hour to an hour and a half listening to me, and given the opportunity I can talk.  

Today he took blood and is running labs.  He also sent me home with 2 different kits that I have to submit for testing by mail.  There was talk of diet, but I think overall he is fine with me continuing my juicing and paleo diet until the lab results get back.  The other thing he is doing is getting me in with a different oncologist.  I am not certain how soon that will happen.  My next appointment with him is the end of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment