Friday, July 17, 2020

I may be kooky!

Ok, let me say to start out that I am not here to debate the use of masks or face shields or even going without.  I, personally believe, that that should be a personal decision.  You may disagree with me.  That's fine.  I am going to post something here that may be a little weird, and something that I haven't heard anything about.  Maybe I am on to something.  Maybe not.  My kids would say I am getting on my soapbox.  Ok.  If you don't want to read any further I will not be hurt.

I went to Walmart today.  I don't generally shop there for groceries since going organic.  I do purchase things there when I need to get one specific item or things I don't want to pay outrageous prices for.  I have certain brands that I just plain like.  For example, I prefer Bounty paper towels.  Since Covid, I have learned not to be to picky with paper towels or toilet paper, but none the less I still prefer Bounty if I can get it.  So, I needed to pick up both toilet paper and paper towels, as well as almond milk.  I generally shop Walmart for my almond milk because they carry the larger size cartons than Whole Foods and my local Kroger is out of the large size more often than not.  In the interest of shopping at one store rather than going to Kroger and having to end up at Walmart for almond milk, I just go to Walmart.  

Since Covid hit, I don't get a cart from the cart return any more.  I figured carts should be more sanitary near the door.  No need to expose myself unnecessarily to Covid.  When I was entering there was a guy spraying down the carts with a huge jug of clear liquid.  I assumed it was rubbing alcohol perhaps mixed with something else.  As I was grabbing a cart, this guy was just loading down all the carts with this liquid.  I mean I am not sure they weren't dripping on the floor there was so much liquid on these carts.  I grabbed one and smelled what smelled to me like bug spray.  I didn't think a lot of it. I am at Walmart, and I assume they have bugs and spray regularly to keep down the population.  That is not something I like to think about, but it is realistic. 

After pushing my extremely wet cart into the store, I stopped and just smelled my hands.  Again the smell of bug spray filled my nose.  At this point, I figured whatever was on the cart was already on me so I just wanted to get the 3 items I needed and get home where I could wash my hands properly.  I went to the back of the store picked up the almond milk and headed to the paper towels.  Again, my nose was filled with bug spray smell.  At this point I was in a congested area.  Also, at this point, I felt a sneeze come on.  Then, of course, my nose began running.  I have not had any symptoms of a cold, flu, Covid, or any other illness until walking into Walmart.  It could be me.  I could have just had to sneeze, but it seems odd to me that I didn't sneeze until I smelled the bug spray.

Once I got in my car, I sprayed my hands with sanitizing mist.  Then I smelled them.  Again the smell of bug spray filled my nose, albeit slightly less strong and with more of a rubbing alcohol smell this time.

I cannot say what was in the spray that the guy was spraying on the carts.  I am not trying to slander Walmart.  I do not know if the guy happened to pick up the wrong spray by mistake.  What I am saying is be careful when you go into places that sanitize the carts for you.  Do not assume what they are spraying on the cart is meant to keep you healthy, or is what you think it is.  The only time I smelled rubbing alcohol is when I sprayed my own personal sanitizing mist on my hands.  After getting home, I washed my hands with hand soap, and still the bug spray smelled remained on my hands.  I finally washed in Dawn dishwashing liquid and was able to get most of the odor off my hands.  

Maybe I'm a kook.  You make your own decisions.  I'm done with my soapbox now.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the wearing or not wearing a mask should be my personal choice. But you would wonder what the young man was spraying on the carts. And what if I was very chemically challenged and whatever was sprayed on the carts sent me into an anaphylactic shock?

    ReplyDelete