I see my general practitioner, who ordered the test, next week, so I will ask him when I see him what the purpose of the mammogram first is. Once the mammogram is done, if need be, they will do an ultrasound. Again, I cannot imagine why they would think the ultrasound is unnecessary, but that's what the guy on the phone from the imaging center said. I was also told that if I need to proceed further they will let me know on the day of the imaging. I will say, if they tell me I need another biopsy, I will put up a fight on that one.
Now, on to my observations. I have been thinking recently about my decisions in my cancer treatment over the last 3 3/4 years. It occurred to me that I need to feel comfortable with my decisions in my care. I am not really concerned with time. I am totally confident in God's power to allow the cancer to progress in a time that I am comfortable with. I believe this is one reason why my cancer is slow growing. God knows that I need the time to make decisions without feeling rushed. It took me 1 3/4 years before I had my lumpectomy. I can tell you that I am ok with my scars when I look at them. I know that I made the decision to have the lumpectomy. I was in Kentucky nearly a year before I actually had the surgery. In spite of the surgeon wanting me to have surgery sooner, I waited. It has been over a year now since my rediagnosis. Again, in spite of the surgeon wanting me to have surgery last summer while Vernon was in Virginia and I was trying to orchestrate a move there as well as moving Branwen to Pensacola and Gilbert to Michigan, I chose to wait.
I realize that waiting could "cost me my life", but I would rather wake up in 20 years and look at my scars knowing that I made the decision and was comfortable with it, than to rush through surgery and wonder for the rest of my life if I made the right decision. I can honestly say if waiting this last year means I have to have a mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy I am ok with that. What I would not have been ok with is having a lumpectomy in a week's time just to get it over and done with. I am sure the surgeon would have felt better knowing he got rid of another cancer, but I am not here to make him feel better.
I would love for them to come back after the mammogram and ultrasound and say everything is fine, the cancer is gone, but looking at things realistically, I am also aware I need to be prepared if they come back and say things are not fine. Right now, I can say God has given me peace if I need to have surgery, whatever that means. Two weeks and counting...
No comments:
Post a Comment