Saturday, October 10, 2020

MRI results and masks

 I was supposed to have my MRI on Tues., but that morning I got a call that their machine had something stuck in it and they couldn't image me.  I was able to reschedule at a different location for Wed.  I went into have the MRI and everything went fine.  They even let me remove my mask during the procedure.  Woo Hoo!  Yesterday I got the results, and everything came out as anticipated.  The measurement of the tumor was slightly different than the ultrasound measurement, but I am pretty sure that's because of the modality and not a change in tumor size.  On Monday, I see the nurse practitioner to start up mistletoe.  I would personally have done this sooner, but this was the soonest they could get me in, and the Lord supplied the funds for the mistletoe order in time for my appointment.  On Tues. I see my general practitioner for a routine follow up and will ask about the discrepancy between the MRI and ultrasound measurements.

Something that I have been meaning to write about for a while is the issue of masks.  I am not posting this to make a political statement or even a medical statement for that matter.  I have said before that I believe we have to make that decision for ourselves.  Whether you wear a mask only because it is required by law, or you wear a mask because you are afraid of getting Covid, or you don't wear a mask just because you like to go against society is of no concern to me.  What concerns me more is people's responses to masks or the lack thereof.

  As someone who has a chronic medical condition, I can tell you that is a daily burden.  I do not walk around feeling sorry for myself.  I do not shout to the world that I have cancer.  I live with it.  I am concerned and trying to heal myself, but as a general rule, I don't announce to everyone nor do I want everyone to know that I have cancer.  By looking at me I appear healthy.  I am not bald from chemo treatments.  I do not have any external signs of cancer.  There are many people who live with other chronic health issues.  People have arthritis.  They live and deal with the pain on a daily basis.  People have heart disease or kidney problems.  Again, these are not externally evident many times, but these are issues that are their burdens every single day.  My cancer may be healed, Lord willing, but some of these other chronic issues cannot.  Health issues, no matter what they are, cut deep.  They humble us.  They make us aware of our humanity.  

 If you do not have a chronic health issue, I am sincerely happy for you.  I would not wish any disease on anyone.  Some day you may have a health issue.  What troubles me is when I see people who assume someone without a mask is ignorant or uncaring about the jeopardy they are putting the world in by not wearing a mask.  I have seen posts of people screaming at others because they are in public without a mask.  In reacting in that way, I assure you that you are adding to the burden of the one with a medical condition.  While this may not happen frequently, the sad thing is that it happens at all.  Imagine yourself walking into Walmart and being asked if you need a mask, as if you are not aware that every other person who is in the store is in a mask and you are very likely going to be the only one in the store without one.  Then as you are shopping, and minding your own business, you are confronted by a customer who simply thinks they are doing the world a favor by requiring everyone to conform to society's standards.  Once again, you are smacked in the face with the fact that you are different. Once again your burden is added to.

I have seen news reports where a woman says that she has asthma and she wears a mask.  In so doing she has just made herself the standard by which she thinks she has the right to judge someone else when they are not wearing a mask.  

The next time you are out and about, if you see someone without a mask, do not judge them.  Do not assume they are a troublemaker or are intent on spreading Covid.  Do not confront them and add to the burden they carry.  The next time you see someone without a mask, pray for them. It will certainly do more good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment