Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Update on ultrasound

 First, let me apologize for not updating this sooner.  I have been very busy with all four kids coming home for Thanksgiving and bringing friends along with them.  I am certain I am not alone in this, as it's that time of year.  

Last week I did go back to the surgeon for a repeat ultrasound.  The last one was done in August.  After finishing the first round of mistletoe, the tumor size is unchanged.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  I remind myself that tumors, by nature, grow.  If they are not growing then the likelihood of them spreading is significantly lessened.  I have already had 3 treatments out of 10 of my second round of mistletoe.  I will have more bloodwork run on the 17th of December.  Those numbers should give me a better picture of what is actually going on with the tumor, as those labs measure the circulating tumor cells in my blood.  I believe if those numbers are decreasing then the tumor should be dying off.  If the numbers remain the same or increase that would be a bad thing.

Looking on to the next month or so, I will return to get the lab results after the new year. At that point, the IV mistletoe will be finished.  Two days later I meet with my general practitioner to discuss the plan from there on out.  At the end of January I have another appointment set up with the surgeon to do an ultrasound.  Just as a reminder or in case anyone is wondering, the surgeon has volunteered to do ultrasounds in her office.  She is curious as to what the mistletoe may or may not do, and I have agreed to let her do that.  If the ultrasound and/or bloodwork show things getting worse in any way, either growth of the current tumor or additional tumors, even an increase in circulating tumor cells I will not hesitate to have surgery. 

I remain optimistic about the results so far.  I didn't grow this tumor overnight and I do not realistically expect the tumor to disappear overnight.  Whatever happens the Lord is in control, and I am content to let Him work in His time and His way.

No comments:

Post a Comment