Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Job update

 As far as the surgery goes, there is not really much to update.  I am still dealing with scarring issues and sensitivity.  It hurts to wear anything on my chest.  It hurts to wear a seatbelt.  It hurts to sleep with sheets on.  Even the air blowing on my chest hurts it.  I am not complaining here, I am just giving you an idea of what this is like.  I am not sure everyone heals from a mastectomy like this, but you cannot live with nothing touching your scar.  You just deal with the issue the best you can.

As far as the job goes, I am enjoying myself immensely.  It's a long story, and for confidentiality reasons I cannot get into details, but I have not yet begun working with any deaf children.  Lord willing that will happen next week.  I have however, been aiding a classroom teacher while the details of the job I was hired to do get worked out.  I must admit I was nervous on the first actual class day of school.  I had not met the students.  I do not have special training in working with special needs kids.  I did not know the extent of their disabilities.  All I knew was that I was where I was supposed to be because the Lord had allowed me to get this job.

After working with the teacher and kids for 10 days now, I have grown to love the kids I'm currently with.  I find myself excited about the possibility of where they will be by the end of the school year.  It is highly likely that I will not be back in this particular classroom ever again this year.  It is likely that unless I keep in touch with the teacher after I leave her classroom I will never know how far they grow this year.  But I find myself cheering for their every accomplishment.  It's a daily thing.  Not everyone is suited for the job of working with special needs kids, whether deafness is their only issue, or they are severely impaired in many areas.  Even after this short time there is one thing I am certain of.  I am in the right job, working with the right kids, and I am certain that the Lord has guided me to this work.  I wouldn't be doing anything else right now if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment