Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Today I'd like to answer a question that comes up fairly often.  People ask me how Vernon is doing with all of this.  Vernon has been my greatest support system this whole time.  Anyone who knows Vernon knows he is the most easy going guy around.  He has never been a husband who tells me what to do, at least most of the time.  Honestly, it's a good thing he isn't. 

My sister, brother, and I practically raised ourselves.  From the time I was in fifth grade I let myself in after school.  Mom was there to provide food and clothing, but there was very little discipline.  Up until I was in college no one had ever really told me what I had to or didn't have to do.  I never had a curfew. I was never asked if I had done my homework. If Vernon had come in as a dictatorial husband I would not have taken it well.

So, when it came time to make a decision on cancer treatment, Vernon went to my appointments with me.  He was the first person I shared the news with that I had cancer pretty much as soon as I learned the truth.  He has never once told me what I should do, but he has let me make my decision, and given me input along the way.

When I did decide to go with natural treatment, as soon as he learned that there was a diet change involved he has been there helping me find recipes, eating new foods, and at times struggling through meals that someone on the internet had proclaimed as their family's favorite.  I can tell you now that often those meals were things my dog wouldn't eat, and we were hoping we had something better to look forward to than what was in front of us at that moment.   He has never complained once about how much all my treatments are costing.  When it's time for me to order more pills they are ordered.

We were talking the other night about just this thing, and I told him that if it were not for his support I would have given up on this treatment long ago. When I get tired of taking flax seed oil and cottage cheese he just gently reminds me that I need to be taking it.  When I've had a long day and  I tell him I'm just ready to go to McDonald's for dinner, he tells me to let him know when I'm ready for him to cook dinner.  And when we go out and I ask if I could have just one Diet Coke, he gives me "the look" and says, "It'd be better if you don't.  Remember it's not to much for Him to ask." I couldn't ask for a better support system.  He's awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment