Thursday, February 21, 2019

Moving again!

Our newest update is that Vernon has accepted a position in Richmond, Virginia.  Our plan right now is for him to move to the Richmond area and start work the first week of March.  Branwen and I will stay in Kentucky for the next six months until it is time for her to head down to PCC in August.  We felt this would be best for her right now, that way she won't be moving and having to get settled in a new place only to pick up and move again in August.  She already has her job here not to mention many friends that she would miss.

As most of you know, we have moved many times (this is our 6th across state lines) in 25 years of marriage.  We have picked up and moved together.  We have let Vernon go ahead, find us a house, and the kids and I have moved a month or two later.  We have stayed in extended stay hotels as well as guest housing.  The last move we had three of our four kids, a cat, and a dog sharing one room in a motel for two months until we were able to close on this house.  This move will be different yet once again in that we have never been apart for more than two months during any given move.  I can say I am glad that this time I do not have to move with all four kids.  I am also thankful that the Lord is giving me a six month notice before I have to move.  This move, however, is probably the one I am looking least forward to.  I feel as if we just moved and I was finally feeling "at home" here.  I had just begun to get to know people on a deeper level.

It was interesting because this morning in my devotions I was reading in Luke of Jesus time in the Garden just prior to his betrayal.  The interesting thing that stuck out to me was in verse 42 where Jesus says, "Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.'  I know this verse, I've heard it before, but this time it was the word nevertheless that stuck out to me because this time I understand a little better where Christ was coming from.  He truly did not want to go the the cross.  He knew the shame, the pain, the humiliation he was about to endure, and Christ was human.  No human being wants to experience any of that.  But Christ also was God, and the nevertheless here means submitting to His Father's will, yes, but it also means submitting himself to the things He had no desire to experience.

Now, I know, my move to Virginia is in no way, shape, or form the same as what Christ accomplished on the cross, but I can relate a little better to what Christ experienced.  I am not trying to demean what Christ did, nor am I in any way trying to bring my moving up to the same level as the crucifixion.  But, if the truth be told, I do not desire this move.  I can say truly from my heart that I am willing to put down my desire to stay where I am in order to accomplish God's will for us even if that means I have to do what I do not have any desire to do.  I believe God has someone that needs us in Virginia and people who we need as well.  I believe His will is best, and I believe I can trust that what He is doing will accomplish His work best.

I hope you can say the same for the things in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment