I met Dad Peach somewhere around 1990 shortly after he and Mom moved to Pensacola. I was 21 years old at the time. I had grown up with a father who was more out than in my life. I had always been a daddy’s girl, and so the void that was left when my father was out of my life grew as I entered high school. I longed to have a father figure in my life. As I enrolled in college, I had given up on ever having the father I so desperately wanted. Enter Dad.
I am not sure what it was about Dad that drew me to him. Perhaps it was the way he accepted anyone his kids dragged home. Perhaps it was the way he’d growl out the words, “Kids these days” when you would do something he didn’t completely agree with or that he thought you should have known better than to try in the first place. Whatever it was, Dad quickly became that father figure I was missing in my life.
When I graduated from college, Dad was there. When I got married, it was Dad that walked me down the aisle, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way even if my own biological father had been around to be there, which he wasn’t. When I was in labor with my first child, Dad was there.
Dad taught me quite a few things, or at least tried to, when I would listen. But the most important thing Dad taught me was about God the Father. Dad took a kid who wasn't his, and loved me. It's the same thing God did for each one of us. And just like Dad didn't force me to accept his love, neither does God force any of us to accept His love. He's just waiting for you take Him up on the offer. I promise, you'll never regret it.
No comments:
Post a Comment