Something that has hit home with me recently is the subject of choices. We all have choices in our lives. Choices are a daily matter. Things like what clothes I wear this morning are seemingly inconsequential. Other choices like what college I attend or who I marry have much more lasting of an impact in my life. I've often thought about the fact that the college I attended most likely helped to determine, not only my vocation in life, but the fact that I married Vernon; and, in my case actually had more of an impact on who I married than what vocation I entered. I am, after all, still married to Vernon, but I have not really used my degree in the way I might have over the last 25 years since graduating from college.
There have been many other choices of impact in my life including my choice of cancer treatment. Most of the "big" choices, however much they may shape the course of my life, aren't as big as they may seem at first; and many of the "little" choices in life have gone on to shape who I am much more than I at first realized. While it's true the college I attended was a "big" choice, but if I had attended a different school I could still have graduated with the same degree.
My choice not to drink alcohol, however has kept me from ever becoming an alcoholic. If I were to have said drinking is ok for me in certain situations then the possibility opens up to extend what those situations are, and I might have found myself in the place of being addicted to alcohol. Now, I realize that I might never have become an alcoholic, but my choice not to drink has kept me from that possibility altogether. It was a small choice, but it is one that has had the potential of affecting my life in big ways.
My choice not to date a man who was unsaved or previously married was a small choice. Now, I realize there are many people out there, Christians even, who have dated and married an unsaved person. I have close friends who have married someone who was married and divorced previously. That was their choice. I won't deny the fact that their second marriages are even better than the first ones they had. That is not the point of this blog, however. The point is that my choice not to date an unsaved person or someone previously married has affected my life in big ways. The choice itself was little. The repercussions big.
So, while I am thinking that right now, the choice of cancer treatment in my life is in the "big" category, and the results of that choice may indeed have lasting consequences, the small choices that I have made in the past and am making on a daily basis are of much more importance in the long run. What choices are you making?
No comments:
Post a Comment