The surgeon called and the first words out of her mouth were, "I have the results of your mammogram and ultrasound. Have you had any other treatment in the last year?"
I replied that the only thing I have done differently in the last year was mistletoe therapy. I reiterated that I have not had chemo, radiation, or hormone therapy. She then began to ask me questions about mistletoe. What kind of mistletoe is it? How is it administered? She listened very intently as I answered her questions. Then she told me what I already knew from the radiologist and asked me if I wanted the MRI. I asked her a few questions about the MRI and then decided I was ok with not doing the MRI. MRIs are expensive, and she said she thought she could see what she needed to on the ultrasound. I told her that I have decided at this point to take the "wait and see" approach and go back on mistletoe and have my gp monitor my progress. She then volunteered to do the ultrasounds in her office if I wanted to do that. I will probably do that. I figure that way, if this works, she can see the results for herself.
I honestly believe she didn't think I knew what I was doing when I came to her. She must have thought that I was at the end of my rope and just ready to have the mastectomy and be done with this whole process. I am ready to be done, and I don't know all there is to know about cancer, but I have done my homework in regards to my cancer, and I do know how it has behaved over the last four years. When she saw the imaging results, her curiosity was peaked.
I have indeed decided to go back on mistletoe, but when I contacted my gp he said that he does want me to have the MRI due to the fact that since I am using such a conservative medical choice he wants me to have used all modalities to give us the best picture of where we are. I have an appointment Monday to talk with the nurse practitioner so I can get the MRI ordered.
No comments:
Post a Comment