Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Welcome Back (to my world)!

     Today's tests felt a little like de ja vous (or however you spell that). I went in to have the mammogram first.  They got me in pretty much by my appointment time.  The test was done within 30 minutes.  They sat me back in the changing cubicle--probably 2x3 room. And I waited, and waited, and waited.  After 30 minutes the lady that did my mammogram looked in at me and said the doctor was reading the images and they would be right with me.  One hour after my mammogram finished the lady came and got me and moved me down the hall to a different 2x3 cubicle closer to the ultrasound.  

    Finally, someone came out and got me for the ultrasound.  The technician scanned and took about 4 pictures.  Then she said she was getting the doctor.  From experience I can tell you that you normally get a lot more than 4 pictures when they do an ultrasound.  This was a little confusing to me.  I didn't know if I should be excited or if this was bad news.  The doctor comes in a few minutes later.  The technician says she cannot feel the lump.  I tell her I have to be sitting up to feel it, but there is already a marker on the spot from where the mammogram was done.  Once I sit up, she can feel the "nodule".  Once again for a second year in a row the doctor and tech are amazed that I can feel the lump and a little uncertain that what I am feeling is a tumor even though the biopsy last year proved that it was.  I lay back down and the technician says, "I guess I'll measure it from here to here."  The doctor agrees that that is good enough.  

    The problem with the measurements is that there are no clear definite borders.  My current tumor isn't playing by the rules apparently.  That being said, the measurements the tech took today seem to correspond to the measurements taken a year ago.  Now, neither imaging from today or last year is clear, and I've learned since starting this journey that unless you have the same tech on the same machine measurements could be a little different, but altogether I think it's safe to say the tumor is the same size as a year ago.

    The radiologist today said today's imaging is inconclusive, and that the only way they can be certain of what they are looking at is by doing an MRI.  The results of today's tests are being sent to my surgeon who ordered the test along with the radiologist's recommendation of an MRI.  I am told that I should hear back by tomorrow afternoon from the surgeon.  I'll keep you updated when I know more.

1 comment: