Monday, July 30, 2018

I saw the surgeon for my postop appointment this morning.  There is not a whole lot to tell.  They want me to do a larger genetic testing panel than I did a year and a half ago.  They also want me to do an Oncotype DX which will tell me how likely it is that the cancer will recur in the next 10 years. The score I recieve on the Oncotype DX determines for certain whether or not they will recommend chemo, although the surgeon thinks it is unlikely at this point.  My genetic counseling appointment is scheduled for Aug. 8

 Along with that they want me to see a radiation oncologist.  The radiation oncologist will talk to me about what is involved in radiation.  The statistics I was given was that without radiation there is a 40% chance the cancer will recur.  With radiation there is a 4% chance it will recur. I will see the radiation oncologist for a consultation appointment on Aug. 7.  I will probably be talking to the oncologist and then I will need to make a decision as to whether or not I will proceed with radiation.  As always, every decision I make needs to be bathed in prayer.

The other thing that happened today at my surgeon appointment was that he drained quite a bit of lymph fluid off.  I was filling up with it and as of Sat. evening it had become noticable.  It sort of felt like I had a softball under my arm.  It wasn't painful, just felt like quite a bit of pressure.  Since I am numb I didn't need anything to numb me and it was fairly painless that is until I got home.  I wouldn't say I'm actually in a lot of pain from it, but I did take an ibuprofen which has helped.  I am not to use my left arm for the next couple of days.  He said there is a 50/50 chance I may have to go back and have more fluid drained off, but if I behave myself I shouldn't need to come back. 

The good news is that the small amounts of cancer they found in the biopsy doesn't affect the survival rate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment